Redbridge Teachers NetworkRedbridge Teachers Network
The Redbridge Teacher Network is an AMSP funded project, allowing teachers of maths to meet, collaborate and to share best practice. We meet termly and the programme usually includes sharing best practice and another item.
The next Redbridge Teacher Network will take place online on Thursday 2nd April 2 – 4pm.
In the network we’ll focus on:
- A recap of additional FREE support from the AMSP through the school closures
- Maths of Migration – ideal for KS3/4 students and to support year 11 students with transition to A Level (details below)
- An opportunity to share weblinks that are supporting your students in this unusual time.
Maths of Migration: We will be joined by Jess Barnecutt from Oaklands School who will share a four-lesson unit of work they have developed to get students to use a real data set from one of Europe’s largest academic research projects, along with a powerful visual story. This has helped their pupils critically engage with the realities of migration - through maths. The unit provides KS3/4 students with an opportunity to:
- Apply statistics to authentic data and develop a stronger conceptual understanding
- Explore a big data set, hugely beneficial in preparing students for A Level mathematics
- Think critically about migration
- Make links across the curriculum - with links to art, English, drama, and ICT
- Use data to support an argument and experiment with novel ways to present data
- As always please encourage colleagues in your school and others to join. This session is particularly useful for KS3 and 4 teachers as well as those teaching the large data set.
The maths of migration is a project that would lend itself to a home learning project and would be especially useful for year 11 students in their transition to AS/A Level maths.
There will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions about how the project has worked in a London School and to engage with the data.
Due to the nature of the online classroom, places are strictly limited. Complete the booking form on the flyer to request a place.
To take part you will need an internet connection, microphone, speakers and access to Excel.
Sadly, I won’t be able to provide refreshments in the normal way, but I hope that you’ll be able to join us!
Materials and Equipment
You'll need a microphone, speakers and access to Microsoft Excel for this meeting.
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics
Statistics, Use of technology
Thu 2nd Apr 2020
14:00 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard