Using Desmos in GCSE and A level Mathematics
This one-day course will explore practical approaches for embedding Desmos in the teaching of Higher Tier GCSE and A level Mathematics. Participants will explore where, when and how to use technology to enhance students’ understanding, learning and experience. We will also consider approaches for supporting the use of technology across a department.
- To demonstrate the effective use of technology in teaching GCSE and A level Mathematics.
- To improve your skills in using Desmos (including for statistics/the large data set).
- To consider strategies for integrating technology into your scheme of work.
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for all teachers of Higher Tier GCSE and or A level Mathematics who are wanting to make more effective use of technology in their teaching.
- Effective teacher use of technology.
- Student tasks for using technology.
- Technology for statistics (including Large Data Set activities).
- Integrating the use of technology and developing your own activities.
Materials and Equipment
The venue will provide a double screen workstation for each delegate, but you are welcome to bring your own laptop or Chromebook that is capable of connecting to WiFi. If you are using tablets in the classroom you might find it useful to bring one.
Course Leader: Tom Button
Tom Button is the Technology PD Lead for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme and MEI's Mathematics Technology Specialist. In addition to his work for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme Tom is an expert in the use of technology for the teaching and learning of mathematics and has presented a large number of professional development courses. Tom tweets about the use of technology in maths at @mathstechnology and blogs at digitalmathematics.blogspot.com.
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics
Use of technology
Face-to-face Professional Development
Tue 15th Oct 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard