Technology for A level Mathematics
Newcastle upon Tyne
This one-day course will explore practical approaches for embedding technology in A level teaching. Participants will explore where, when and how to use technology to enhance students’ understanding, learning and experience. We will also consider approaches for supporting the use of technology across a department.
A range of technolgies will be considered including GeoGebra, Desmos, Excel, Autograph and graphical/scientific calculators. There will be support in deciding which of these is most appropriate for your department.
- To demonstrate the effective use of technology in teaching A level Mathematics.
- To explore students activities for using technology.
- To develop your skills in using technology for statistics/the large data set (including calculators).
- To consider strategies for integrating technology into your scheme of work.
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for all teachers of A level Mathematics who are wanting to make more effective use of technology in their teaching.
- Student tasks for using technology
- Effective teacher use of technology
- Technology for statistics (including use of calculators and Large Data Set activities)
- Integrating the use of technology (including schemes of work and supporting your department)
Materials and Equipment
Delegates will need to bring a laptop that is capable of connecting to WiFi and the calculator that their students are using for A level.
Course Leaders: Tom Button and Michael Gibson
Tom Button is the Technology PD Lead for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme and MEI's Mathematics Technology Specialist. In addition to his work for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme Tom is an expert in the use of technology for the teaching and learning of mathematics and has presented a large number of professional development courses. Tom tweets about the use of technology in maths at @mathstechnology and blogs at digitalmathematics.blogspot.com.
Michael Gibson is an AMSP Area Coordinator for the North East Region and is the first contact for schools in Newcastle, North Tyneside and Darlington. He has over 10 years' experience as a classroom teacher and has taught Mathematics at KS3, KS4 and A-Level, as well as A-Level Further Mathematics and Computer Science. He is very keen to promote the use of technology at all levels of mathematics teaching and to support teachers in developing their technology skills.
A level Mathematics
Statistics, Pure, Use of technology
Face-to-face Professional Development
Newcastle Sixth Form College,
Westmorland Rd NE4 7SA,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Thu 20th Jun 2019
09:30 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard