Barking & Dagenham Teacher NetworkSharing Resources & 6 Concepts
A network for teachers who work/live in or near Barking & Dagenham; all are welcome to attend. We will aim to meet once a term, and will move around the borough.
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances at the host school, we have had to cancel this network. I hope to run the session again in the Autumn term.
Sharing Best Practice
In this meeting we will start by sharing resources that we have found useful. Please bring around 10 printed copies and be prepared to talk about the resources for roughly 2 minutes (Why do you like it? Did it help with a particular misconception? What did your students think?). This resource could be from any area of Secondary Mathematics (KS3, KS4 or Post 16). Please also email me an electronic copy of the resource in advance of the network so that this can be shared with everyone. Bring one great resources and leave with many!
Do you find that students struggle with the transition from GCSE to year 12 maths? This could be your students leaving to take maths at another institution or starting maths with you in year 12 (Core Maths or AS Maths).
Do you or your department:
- Expect your Y12 students to work in a large mixed ability set
- Expect that all students who take A level Maths/Core Maths, want to do A level Maths
- Expect the students to be independent but that parents will still support and guide them
- Expect more homework from them
- Expect sound and consistent understanding of topics which previously required repeated revision
- Expect students to know which topics from GCSE will be assumed knowledge for AS Maths
- Expect that students are able to identify their areas of misunderstanding so that they can be tackled
- Expect students to realise that there is not enough time in Year 12 to keep reviewing topics over and over as they have in the past.
If you identified with any of these, this part of the network will explore the rational for a whole department approach that you may want to consider to support all students to transition to post 16 maths. This is a thought provoking session, to help you reflect on your own practice, and to take back to your departments.
Do I need to sign up/how do I sign up?
Please complete the booking form on the right as this helps James bring enojugh refreshments (yay cake)! Please ask each of your colleagues coming to complete this form.
Getting to the school
There is parking avaialble at the school, and the local tube station is Becontree (district line, 10 minute walk).
The network meeting is planned for 4:30 - 6:30 with arrival from 4pm.
Future Network Meetings
It is planned for the network will meet once a term and a 'moving venue.' It is hoped that by moving the network around the borough it will not always be difficult for the same schools to attend. If you would like to host the next meeting (it would make it easier for your entire department to attend), please let James know.
A level Mathematics, 11-16 maths, A level Further Mathematics, Core Maths, University admissions tests
Jo Richardson Community School,
Mon 15th Jul 2019
16:30 - 18:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard