The Large Data Set: Making Lessons Meaningful
AS and A level mathematics specifications require students to:
- become familiar with a specific large data set
- use technology to explore the data set
- interpret real data
- use data to investigate questions arising in real contexts
The large data set is an excellent tool to address these requirements. We will consider strategies to access the large data set throughout the statistics component of the course and how it can be used to infuse our teaching and add richness and context to our lessons.
- Develop strategies for working with large data sets
- Consider how technology can best be used to explore large data sets
- Investigate strategies to ensure students become familiar with both the content and the context of large data sets
- Consider the implications of an increased focus on interpretation over calculation in A level maths
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers currently teaching, or planning to teach, the applied content of A level maths.
Both experienced and inexperienced teachers are welcome to attend.
09:15-09:30 Registration and refreshments
09:30-10:15 Large data set requirements; what is meant by familiarity with the large data set?
10:15-11:00 The use of stimulus questions and activities; interpreting graphs and summary statistics
11:15-12:45 Making use of technology to promote familiarity and understanding of the large data set; Excel, GeoGebra and hands-on activities
13:30-15:00 Teaching concepts through the large data set; random sampling, correlation and hypothesis testing
15:15-16:15 Assessment of the large data set; markschemes and examiners' reports
Materials and Equipment
Please bring a laptop or tablet with you, ensuring you have Excel and GeoGebra Classic 5 installed on it.
Please note that we retain the right to retain your booking fee in the event of late cancellation or non-attendance. Trainee teachers are able to attend for free if accompanied by a fee-paying teacher from the same school.
A level Mathematics
Face-to-face Professional Development
London and South East
Sandwich Technology School,
Mon 1st Apr 2019
09:30 - 16:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard