Using technology for Core Maths and the Large Data Set in A level Maths
This one day course is designed to support teachers in learning how to use the statistics functions in GeoGebra for teaching either one of the Core Maths qualifications or statistics, including the large data set, in A level Mathematics.
- To improve your skills in using GeoGebra for teaching the statistics elements of Core Maths or A level Maths
- To explore activities for investigating data in Core Maths or the large data set at A level
- To consider effective strategies for using statistics technology in the classroom
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for all teachers of either A level Mathematics or one of the Core Maths qualifications. No previous experience of using GeoGebra is expected
Morning programme (0930-1230):
- Introduction to using GeoGebra for statistics
- Exploring activities for the large data set
- Exploring activities for Core Maths
Afternoon programme (1330-1600):
- Shared approaches to teaching Core Maths and A level Maths
- Opportunity to practise technique
Materials and Equipment
Teachers are requested to bring their own laptop with GeoGebra 5 installed – this can be downloaded for free from www.geogebra.org.
Course Leaders: Tom Button and Terry Dawson
Tom Button is the Technology PD Lead for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme and MEI's Mathematics Technology Specialist. In addition to his work for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme Tom is an expert in the use of technology for the teaching and learning of mathematics and has presented a large number of professional development courses. Tom's blog, Digital technologies for learning mathematics, can be found at digitalmathematics.blogspot.com .
Terry is a Curriculum Developer for MEI. He has worked with MEI’s curriculum team to develop the new Core Maths qualification, teaching resources, and related teaching and learning approaches. Terry has developed and led CPD sessions for teachers and subject leaders, and been involved in lesson study
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
This is a FREE event!
Core Maths, A level Mathematics
Statistics, Use of technology
Yorkshire and the Humber
Carter Knowle Road,
Thu 28th Mar 2019
09:30 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard