AS and A level Maths: Statistics
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course comprises seven online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered in a small group of teachers allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion. An optional introductory session is also available for those teachers who are fully new to teaching Statistics.
Any teacher currently based in a state-funded school or college who signs up for this course is encouraged also to apply for our free On Demand Professional Development (ODPD) course Spreadsheets and the large data set which allows greater depth of study for this area of the course than we are able to provide in the live online environment. More details are here: ODPD Spreadsheets and the large data set.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to improve or refresh their subject knowledge of the main topics that typically feature in AS & A level statistics
- To provide opportunities to interact with the course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject content, resources and teaching ideas.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers who are new to offering the statistics element of the A level Mathematics course and those who are seeking to refresh their approach in this context. For those who are fully new to teaching statistics, there is an optional preparatory session available before the start of the main course.
If you are a teacher currently based in a state-funded school or college in England, and wish to develop your skills specifically with the Large data set, we recommend this free On Demand Professional Development course: ODPD Spreadsheets and the large data set.
- Optional introductory session for those new to teaching statistics
- Using large data sets (focusing on using the results from analyses)
- Binomial distribution including hypothesis testing
- Normal distribution including hypothesis testing
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of sharing handwritten maths, such as a mini-whiteboard and webcam, a visualiser or a graphics tablet. Full details of how to set these up can be found on our online classroom support page.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
The course fee is £195.
Course participants who are currently working in a state-funded school or college in England will be eligible to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the participant has attended at least five of the seven live online sessions for this course
- the participant has completed the feedback form for this course within two weeks from the date of the last session
- relevant contact details for the employing school or college have been provided on application (normally a bursar or finance officer and the participant's line manager).
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
|04 February||Using large data sets (focusing on using the results from analyses)|
|25 February||Calculating with large data sets (techniques on a spreadsheet/calculator)|
|11 March||Binomial distribution|
|18 March||Normal distribution|
|25 March||Hypothesis testing using the Binomial distribution|
|01 April||Hypothesis testing using Normal distribution|
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard