A level Maths: Pure (Year 2)
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course comprises 11 online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered in a small group of teachers allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion.
Any teacher currently based in a state-funded school or college who signs up for this course is encouraged also to apply for our free On Demand Professional Development (ODPD) course Numerical methods for A level mathematics which allows greater depth of study for this area of the course than we are able to provide in the live online environment. More details are here: ODPD Numerical methods for A level mathematics.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to improve or refresh their subject knowledge of the main topics that typically feature in the second year of A level Mathematics: pure.
- To provide opportunities to interact with the course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject content, resources and teaching ideas.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers who are new to offering the pure element of the second year of the A level Mathematics course and those who are seeking to refresh their approach in this context.
- Sequences and series
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of sharing handwritten maths, such as a mini-whiteboard and webcam, a visualiser or a graphics tablet. Full details of how to set these up can be found on our online classroom support page.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
The course fee is £195.
Course participants who are currently working in a state-funded school or college in England will be eligible to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the participant has attended at least eight of the 11 live online sessions for this course
- the participant has completed the feedback form for this course within two weeks from the date of the last session
- relevant contact details for the employing school or college have been provided on application (normally a bursar or finance officer and the participant's line manager).
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
|07 March||Trigonometry 1|
|14 March||Function calculus|
|21 March||Trigonometry 2|
|28 March||Binomial expansion, Modulus functions|
|04 April||Rule calculus|
|25 April||Extended calculus 1|
|02 May||Sequences and series|
|09 May||Extended calculus 2|
A level Mathematics
Live Online Professional Development
Thu 7th Feb 2019
16:30 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard