Teaching Statistics 1
Online and Leeds or London
Teaching Statistics 1 (TS1) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to build their confidence in teaching statistics. TS1 covers the statistics content from all major specifications for AS/A level Mathematics.
- 10-12 live online tutorials
- two study days
- a reference book to support your studies
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Towards the end of the course a short assignment is issued, for which support and guidance are provided. Course certificates will be available for those participants completing the assignment.
After TS1, participants have the opportunity to continue to TS2, which will further expand understanding of statistics teaching.
- Gain a deep understanding of statistics as a problem-solving discipline.
- Develop statistical modelling skills.
- Develop confidence in working with real data using technology.
- Improve statistical subject knowledge.
- Build on existing pedagogical skills.
Who will benefit from attending?
TS is designed for teachers who are currently teaching A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants include:
- an experienced teacher who wishes to learn more about statistics
- an individual currently not teaching in a school who wishes to undertake an extensive professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach statistics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM1 & TFM2) course, a Teaching Mechanics (TM1 & TM2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course
TS1 covers the statistics content for AS/A level Mathematics. This includes the following topics:
- Statistical sampling and using large data sets
- Data presentation and interpretation
- Summary statistics
- Bivariate data
- Statistical distributions
- Statistical hypothesis testing
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
The course fee for TS1 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
|Provisional date||Study content|
|13 March||Introductory probability|
|27 March||Conditional probability|
|3 April||Sampling technique|
|8 May||Graphical summaries|
|15 May||Numerical summaries|
|29 May||Binomial distribution|
|12 June||Normal distribution|
|26 June||Bivariate data|
|3 July||Hypothesis testing 1|
|17 July||Hypothesis testing 2|
Study day 1:
Study day 2:
During July and August you will work toward completing an assignment. The deadline for this assignment is 31 August 2019.
A level Mathematics
Sustained Professional Development
Online classroom and study days in Leeds or London
7th March 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard