Teaching Mechanics 2
Online and Coventry
Teaching Mechanics 2 (TM2) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to build their confidence in teaching mechanics. TM2 covers the mechanics content from all major specifications for AS/A level Further Mathematics.
- 9 live online tutorials
- two study days
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Towards the end of the course a short assignment is issued, for which support and guidance are provided. Course certificates will be available for those participants completing the assignment.
In order to enrol on the TM2 course, participants should have a reasonable understanding of the mechanics content of AS/A level Mathematics, ideally through having completed TM1 though this is not compulsory.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the principles of mechanics.
- Develop skills with mathematical modelling and problem solving
- Develop confidence with incorporating practical work within maths teaching
- Improve subject knowledge and build on pedagogical skills
- Link topics in mechanics with other areas of maths
Who will benefit from attending?
TM is designed for teachers who are currently teaching A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced A level teacher who wishes to learn more about teaching mechanics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach mechanics
- a teacher who has recently completed Teaching Mechanics 1 (TM1)
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM1 & TFM2) course, a Teaching Statistics (TS1 & TS2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course.
TM2 covers the mechanics content for AS/A level Further Mathematics. This includes the following topics:
- Dimensional analysis
- Momentum and restitution
- Work, energy and power
- Circular motion
- Centre of mass
- Variable force
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
Participants must have a reasonable understanding of the mechanics content of AS/A level Mathematics, ideally through having completed TM1 though this is not compulsory.
The course fee for TM2 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
|Week beginning||Study content||Evening online tutorials (19:00)|
|4 March||Introductory session and Dimensional Analysis||Thursday 7 March 2019|
|11 March||Dimensional Analysis|
|18 March||Momentum and impulse||Thursday 21 March 2019|
|25 March||Momentum and impulse|
|1 April||Work, energy and power||Thursday 4 April 2019|
|22 April||Work, energy and power|
|29 April||Circular motion 1||Thursday 2 May 2019|
|6 May||Circular motion 1|
|13 May||Circular motion 2||Thursday 16 May 2019|
|20 May||Circular motion 2|
|3 June||Centre of mass 1||Thursday 6 June 2019|
|10 June||Centre of mass 1|
|17 June||Centre of mass 2||Thursday 20 June 2019|
|24 June||Centre of mass 2|
|1 July||Elasticity||Thursday 4 July 2019|
|15 July||Variable force||Thursday 18 July 2019|
|22 July||Variable force|
Study day 1:
Study day 2:
During July and August you will work toward completing an assignment. The deadline for this assignment is 31 August 2019.
A level Further Mathematics
Sustained Professional Development
Online classroom and study days in Coventry
Thu 7th Mar 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard