GCSE Problem Solving
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course comprises four online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered to a small group of teachers allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion.
- To provide teachers with ideas and suggestions for using problem solving to enhance teaching and learning maths at GCSE.
- To give opportunities for sharing and developing problems for use at GCSE
- To share ideas for embedding problem solving in the curriculum to ensure students are fully prepared for this aspect of the current GCSE.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers of GCSE Higher level Mathematics, especially those hoping to raise student aspiration to study Maths beyond GCSE.
- What is a problem? Identifying what makes a problem a problem makes it easier to create your own problems and understand the skills involved in solving them. We will look at different ways of defining and classifying problems as well as solving a few ourselves!
- Changes to the secondary curriculum: with the increased emphasis on problem solving at GCSE, how does this impact on how we teach across the secondary phase? How can we create a positive attitude towards solving problems?
- Embedding Problem Solving: How do you plan and manage a problem solving lesson. Looking at ways of embedding problem solving into your schemes of work.
- Assessment and Resources: What does problem solving look like in the new GCSE exam papers? Where to find resources for problem solving.
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of handwriting on the shared whiteboard, such as a graphics tablet or interactive whiteboard.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
The course fee is £95.
Course participants who are currently working in a state-funded school or college in England will be eligible to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the participant has attended at least three of the four live online sessions for this course
- the participant has completed the feedback form for this course within two weeks from the date of the last session
- relevant contact details for the employing school or college have been provided on application (normally a bursar or finance officer and the participant's line manager).
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
Find a course
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard