Teaching Mechanics 1
Online and Leeds or London
Teaching Mechanics 1 (TM1) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to build their confidence in teaching mechanics. TM1 covers the mechanics content from all major specifications for AS/A level Mathematics.
- 9 live online tutorials
- two study days
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Towards the end of the course a short assignment is issued, for which support and guidance are provided. Course certificates will be available for those participants completing the assignment.
After TM1, participants have the opportunity to continue to TM2, which will further expand understanding of mechanics teaching and cover the mechanics content from AS/A level Further Mathematics.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the principles of mechanics
- Develop skills with mathematical modelling and problem solving
- Develop confidence with incorporating practical work within maths teaching
- Improve subject knowledge and build on pedagogical skills
- Link topics in mechanics with other areas of maths
Who will benefit from attending?
TM1 is designed for teachers who are currently teaching AS/A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced A level teacher who wishes to learn more about teaching mechanics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach mechanics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM1 & TFM2) course, a Teaching Statistics (TS1 & TS2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course.
TM1 covers the mechanics content for AS/A level Mathematics. This includes the following topics:
- Forces and components
- Newton's laws
- Kinematics and constant acceleration in one dimension
- Gravity and friction
- Connected particles
- Kinematics in two dimensions
- Variable acceleration
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
The course fee for TM1 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
|Week beginning||Study content||Evening online tutorials (19:00)|
|21 January||Course unit introduction||Thursday 24 January 2019|
|28 January||Forces and components||Thursday 31 January 2019|
|4 February||Forces and components|
|25 February||Newton's laws||Thursday 28 February 2019|
|4 March||Newton's laws|
|11 March||Kinematics||Thursday 14 March 2019|
|25 March||Gravity and friction||Thursday 28 March 2019|
|1 April||Gravity and friction|
|8 April 2019||Break|
|15 April 2019||Break|
|22 April||Connected particles||Thursday 25 April 2019|
|29 April||Connected particles|
|6 May||Kinematics in 2D||Thursday 9 May 2019|
|13 May||Kinematics in 2D|
|20 May||Projectiles||Thursday 23 May 2019|
|10 June||Moments||Thursday 13 June 2019|
|24 June||Variable acceleration||Tuesday 25 June 2019|
|1 July||Variable acceleration|
Study day 1:
Study day 2:
During July and August you will work toward completing an assignment. The deadline for this assignment is 31 August 2019.
A level Mathematics
Sustained Professional Development
Online classroom and study days in Leeds or London
24th January 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard