Teaching Discrete Mathematics 2
Discrete maths features in all AS/A level Further Mathematics specifications, albeit under different titles:
- Discrete Mathematics - AQA and OCR A
- Decision Mathematics - Edexcel
- Modelling with Algorithms - OCR B (MEI)
Teaching Discrete Mathematics 2 (TD2) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to build their confidence in teaching discrete/decision mathematics. TD2 builds upon the topics studied in TD1 to cover the additional subject content required for A level Further Mathematics.
- seven live online tutorials
- two study days
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from tutors and access to an online group forum
Towards the end of the course a short assignment is issued, for which support and guidance are provided. Course certificates will be available for those participants completing the assignment.
- Gain a deep understanding of the application of algorithms to a wide range of problems.
- Develop skills with using standard algorithms to solve optimisation problems
- Learn project planning processes which minimise overall costs and make the best use of available resources.
- Develop confidence with incorporating practical work within maths teaching
- Link topics in discrete maths with other areas of maths
Who will benefit from attending?
TD2 is designed for A level Mathematics teachers who are new to teaching discrete/decision mathematics, or those that have previously taught D1 and D2 but wish to broaden and deepen their understanding. Suitable applicants include:
- an experienced teacher of A level Mathematics who wishes to learn more about discrete mathematics for A Level Further Mathematics
- an individual, not currently teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge so they can confidently teach discrete maths as part of their A level teaching
- a teacher who has recently completed Teaching Discrete Mathematics 1 (TD1)
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM1 & TFM2) course, a Teaching Mechanics (TM1 & TM2) course or a Teaching Statistics (TS1 & TS2) course
TD2 covers the discrete/decision mathematics content for A level Further Mathematics. This includes the following topics:
- Graph Theory: Planarity
- Floyd’s Algorithm
- Dynamic Programming
- Linear Programming: Simplex
- Two-stage Simplex & Big-M method
- Group Theory
- Second Order Recurrence Relations
- Decision Analysis
These topics appear within the Further Mathematics specifications of the reformed Maths A levels for first teaching from September 2017.
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
Participants must have a sound understanding of the discrete content of AS level Further Mathematics, ideally through having completed TD1 though this is not complusory. This requires knowledge of subject content beyond the scope of the D1 modules in the legacy specifications.
The course fee for TD2 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
Find a course
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard