Sixth Form Problem Solving MorningAshbourne
An engaging morning for KS5 students and their maths teacher(s) to develop deeper mathematical problem-solving skills.
- To provide students with an opportunity to begin to increase their depth of mathematical understanding and so gain confidence in attempting more challenging questions and problems.
- To allow students to discuss and try out problem solving strategies, to think about different ways of looking at example problems and how to approach writing solutions.
- Maths teachers are encouraged to attend with their students. They will have the opportunity to work on higher-level problems and learn about potential sources of questions/problems to take back to the classroom.
Who will benefit from attending?
This event is ideal for Year 12/13 students who are thinking of applying to study mathematics, engineering or related university courses, or for students who just enjoy solving mathematical problems.
The event will also be useful for maths teachers who would like to gain more experience and ideas of how to introduce problem solving within their own classrooms.
- 9:00am Arrival and registration
- 9:30am Introduction: The Problem-Solving Mindset
- 10:00am Mini Masterclass - Enrichment lecture on an area of mathematics outside the curriculum
- 10:30am Session 1 – Getting comfortable with Problem Solving
- 11:20am Break
- 11:30pm Session 2 - Writing and Presenting Solutions
- 12:20pm Closing Plenary
- 12:30pm Close
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School is located in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, which lies at the southern gateway to the Peak District. We reside near the city of Derby and are only 20 miles from the M1. Our nearest airport is East Midlands approximately 30 miles away.
Fees for this course/event are FREE
Year 12 & 13
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar,
The Green Road,
Mon 1st Jul 2019
09:00 - 12:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: