STEP and AEA Preparation Day
Increasing numbers of universities are asking their applicants for mathematics degrees to sit one or more of the Sixth Term Examination Papers (STEP) in Mathematics and/or the Advanced Extension Award (AEA) in Mathematics. Many other universities, including Lancaster and York, encourage their applicants for mathematics to consider sitting STEP or AEA. In the event that an applicant narrowly misses their stated offer, a pass in STEP or AEA makes it highly likely that the university will admit them in any case.
The day is principally intended for students who will be taking STEP and/or AEA exams in summer 2019. Students can come unaccompanied but teachers may also find the day useful.
- Enable students and staff to work collaboratively on STEP and AEA questions
- Develop and practise the skills needed to tackle STEP and AEA questions effectively
- Spend time focusing on pure mathematics, mechanics and statistics questions
- Encourage creativity in mathematics
Who will benefit from attending?
You should definitely send any Year 13 students whose conditional offers either require, or encourage, STEP and/or AEA. In addition, think about sending:
- Year 13 students who plan to read mathematics, or a related subject, at university – studying
- STEP or AEA questions will be excellent preparation for this;
- Year 13 students who you think would benefit from spending a day solving problems;
- Teachers at schools/colleges that do not offer STEP and/or AEA support, but would like to;
- Teachers who are looking to enhance the STEP and/or AEA support they offer students.
The event is free to all students and teachers.
University admissions tests
Lancaster Conference Centre,
9th May 2019
10:00 - 15:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: